Discussion: My Love Story with Yamada-kun at lv999 episode 1

When I read the synopsis for My Love Story with Yamada-kun at lv999 I was pretty sure that it was gonna hit pretty close to home. And I was totally right about that. I met my boyfriend in an MMO, and we grew closer and eventually got together after I had been through a crappy break up. Plus, I’m more of an extrovert and he’s more of an introvert.

In some ways, watching this show was a lot like peering into a mirror. 

The basic plot for the show is that Akane’s boyfriend dumps her for a girl he meets in the game he and Akane started playing together. She’s heartbroken, gets a new outfit to feel better, and goes to an event connected to the game. Where she then sees him with his new girl.

But she also sees Yamada, the jerk she poured her heart out to inside the game, there as well. And he turns out to be a famous pro-gamer that her ex has admired for years. In an instant, Akane hatches a plan to pretend that he is her new boyfriend.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

This opening episode did have its funny moments, many of them highlighted by chibi faces or eyes, or the presence of bright backgrounds filled with flowers. But as someone who has been where our leading lady is, despite that being a long time ago, there were parts where I wanted to hug her. And parts where I wanted to strangle her. 

But as much as I liked Akane, I actually think I have to hand it to the VA for Yamada for the performance he managed to pull off. Yamada, at least at this point, is a very quiet and blunt person who does not use unnecessary words or mince words to spare anyone’s feelings. It would probably be very easy to write him off as being intentionally cold or malicious, but the truth—for now, at least—is that he’s just not interested. 

Lastly, we need to hold up a minute and talk about that cliffhanger. Oh my God, how the hell did you end up there, Akane? The look on your face as you clued in was totally priceless. 

I don’t wanna spoil the last moments of the episode, so I’ll put it this way. If you know, you know. And if you don’t know and wanna find out, you need to go to crunchyroll and watch episode one of My Love Story with Yamada-ken at lv999. If you’re looking for an interesting spring romance to follow, and have any interest in gaming, I promise it’s worth your time. 

Comments